Saturday, July 25, 2009

Day 1- part deux

We walked out of the hotel and took a right. That's all i remember, i was so hungry that it caused me to have a mild case of Alzheimer's. We walked down Avenida Isla Verde, there was some construction going on both sides of the street and to top it off it was rather busy. Its the main street before the hotels that lay on the beach, basically lake drive here in Milwaukee.

There was familiar places like pizza hut and burger king, but we wanted to expand our horizons. We passed up a few small places and landed at Los Pinos. The was a casual semi open bar and grill. It was relatively empty, just a few people at the bar and about two other tables were full. It was hot in (out really) there. They had the fans going, but it produced no air whatsoever. The waitress came and took our order.


That was a whole ordeal in itself. Let me try and explain. I, am Mexican, full blood 100% Mexican. Juju, is 50/50. Mexirican. 99% of the people in Puerto Rico are full blooded home grown 100% Puerto Rican. The Spanish language can be very different among cultures, let alone urban vs rural communities. Spanish is spoken at warp speeds in Puerto Rico. Puerto Rican (as Mexican do as well- Nik' anyone?) people sometimes, mispronounce and/or drop letters when speaking. i.e Torn=Roto; Roto=Joto (PR Spanish) and Joto= Gay (MX Spanish) see?


I tried ordering empanadas, which she explained really meant something breaded. I was looking for those folded meat stuffed deep fried yummy things. Empanadillas....Oh. Well then i guess i'll get that... she asked how many. I said how big are they? she holds her index finger and thumb out, about 3-4 inches away from each other. 3 i said. We also got some tostones and juj ordered a Cuban. Since it was hot, we decided to stay hydrated and refreshed with some drinks. Juj got a Corona and i got a Bacardi & coke.


Our food came out and to my surprise each one of my empanadillas was a good 6 inches big each. hm... measurement barriers?


The food was delicious. The empanadillas were warm and flaky, the tostones were sweet and crispy and Juju loved his Cuban. Juju's corona was cold and my Bacardi and coke was strong. I couldn't finish my empanadillas since i was wrongfully deceived by our waitress. We got a box for my empanadilla ( which later was to be eaten- heated up by our hairdryer since we were sans microwave) and our bill, which seemed low. I looked over it to find that my Bacardi and coke was only 2.81 (including tax) 2.81! can you believe that? So from there on out i made a promise to only drink Rum while in Puerto Rico, i mean they do say... When in Rome. Right?

No comments: