Saturday, April 10, 2010

My Cookie Was Crumbling

Friday has to have been one of the hardest days of my entire life. I got a call from my SIL, Sasha, who frantically told me that a dog had came into our yard, attacked my poor innocent cookie, and now cookie was no where to be found. My heart dropped to my knees immediately. I was still at work, not even done for the day, when i just got up and told my boss what was happening and told him i had to go.

I packed my belonging up and headed to my car. My mind was racing. I feared the worst. I started crying, and praying between sobs. I prayed and i prayed. My heart was beating so hard i could feel it in my head. I was shaking. I was a total mess. I managed to call sasha and told her not to give up looking for her, that i was on my way, just to not stop looking for her. 15 minutes later from the first phone call i received, I tried Sasha again. She answered and all i could hear on the other end was commotion. After a few seconds of trying to talk to sasha, She said- There she is! Come here Cookie, come here mama and the phone went dead.

A part of me was relieved to know that she had been found, but another part of me was terrified to know what the extent of her injuries would be. Sasha called and told me they were on their way to the hospital. I told her i would meet her there. Before we hung up, my MIL took the phone and told me she didn't look too bad, but her face was pretty bit up. I lost it. I couldn't get a word out. I sat in my car praying to God not to take my baby, I always thought, and hoped, that one day, when it would be Cookie's turn to go to doggie heaven- she would pass away in her sleep, in a beautiful dream. I prayed to God to not let her life be taken away because of the stupidity of others. If it was her time to meet Him, let it be because He called upon her. Not because someone was heartless enough to kill an innocent animal.

When she arrived at hospital i looked at her, i looked into her big beautiful brown eyes, and she looked so at peace. She wasn't crying, she wasn't whinnying, not even shaking. The Dr. immediately gave her pain medicine and we quickly discussed my options. I knew it was going to come with a hefty price tag. I didn't care. I counted all my nickels and dimes, and called upon every last one of my life lines and signed off on her surgery orders. I kissed her goodbye and washed all of her blood off my hands, literally not figuratively.

During all this time, Juju was at work. He had no clue what was going on. Sasha had called and left a few messages, but he hadn't yet listened to it. I, thinking he already listened to at least one of the messages, sent him a text saying "we were at the animal hospital, cookie is ok, she is going to need a very expensive surgery, but i can't put her down i cant''. Poor guy, i really freaked him out.

Once we got home we tried talking to all of the neighbors to get a better account of what happened. From everyones account this is what I've compiled:


Two boys, 10 & 12, opened our front fence, with a pitbull on a leash. Cookie and Leche were lounging outside like they usually do. The boys walked the pit up to Cookie and said "get her". Our next door neighbor saw the pit attack cookie and she started pounding on the window. The 2 boys started running out of our yard and out the back fence. The pithad Cookie in its mouth. Her boyfriend and another young man ran out of the house to chase after the boys. They were able to catch up to the boys in the alley, a few house down the road. At this point you could hear the struggle going on between Cookie, the pit and our neighbors. Ourneighbor across the street and his wife ran out, saw what was going onand started pounding on the windows outside of the kitchen asking my MIL for a bucket of hot water to throw on the pit. Meanwhile all of this is happening, Leche is barking and pushing on the door to get someones attention. At that point they tell my MIL that it was our dog, our dog was getting attacked, my MIL responded, "what?! what are you talking about? My dog is right here!" referring to Leche. He said "No, Its the other one, the chihuahua, Its Cookie" Our next door neighbor had to punch the pittbull 4/5 times in the head, while another tried choking in. Cookie was still in its mouth and they were doing everything they could to free her. Once they were able to get her out, she ran away and hid.
This is when I got a call from my SIL, Sasha, who frantically told me that a dog had came into our yard, attacked my poor innocent cookie, and now cookie was no where to be found.
Sasha eventually found her hiding across the street, in a neighbors garage. As the entire entire neighborhood was out looking for my little cooks, she had found refuge by sneaking into an open garage. When Sasha approached that particular neighbor she said that she would check her garage to see if cookie was hiding there since her cat seemed to be standing guard at the entrance. She go her garage door opener and sure enough cookie emerged from the dark corner.
And so i sit here today. With a heavy heart. Praying for her quick recovery.

1 comment:

Cristy said...

I am withholding this info from adriansito.. he loves cookie too much.. always looking for her at your house.. pobre.. you've got some great neighbors..