Friday, October 1, 2010

It's Over

Finally. It's over. There will be no more hearings. There will be no more depositions. There will be no more living those horrible moments that Cookie endured.

The kid who brought the pitbull into our yard and attacked cookie was 'sentenced' to serve his year probation at a Rehabilitation Treatment Center, RTC today.

Today we heard any last arguments. I addressed the court once again. I was composed and was able to express my empathy for this kid and his mom. I made it clear to the court that this, this whole case, went beyond what happened to Cookie, beyond the money and beyond any 'retaliation/seeking justice' for my dear Cookie. This was about getting this kid the help he needs to have a fighting chance at being a productive member of society when he grows up. This was about helping him find his way onto the correct path. This was about saving another person from potentially spending the rest of his life in jail. And we did.

The kid addressed me. He apologized, he sobbed... and i cried right along with him. My heart went out to him- because at the end of the day he is just another child, a victim of his family's inability to raise and educate him properly, another broken child, product of a broken home, who was never shown or taught how to be a good kid.

Today i feel such a sense of relief.

I really hope that we have changed his life for the better. I hope he can one day look back and feel appreciative of what he went through and know that if it wasnt for us, well... who knows where he'd be. I can only hope.

No comments: