Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Is it because im a girl?

Just a quick vent. So I'm currently taking a statistics class. I really like math, always have, always will. But stats? well, um... i do like it, but i feel the professor could do a heck of a better job with his teaching techniques and it also doesn't help that the traditional 16 week course is crammed into 6 sessions.  Any how, back to my vent. So we have a team project to complete by the end of the class, which just happens to be next week. My team consists of 2 guys and 2 girls (including myself).

We decided to do some sort of test ( Z/T/Hypothesis) on NFL quarterbacks. Fine. I like football and the more i understand it, the less number of question i pose during each play, and the more enjoyable it is for those around me. So there i go, i find statistics ranking the 32 quarterbacks giving their age, seasons yards ( passing, completed, rushing), completion rates etc etc. So i did my homework on this, not only this but i bounced off ideas off of a few sports enthusiasts at work. So before i met with my team i emailed a nicely formatted spreadsheet with all my statistics. I have to admit i was a bit proud of myself.

Once i arrived at Starbucks for my team meeting:

Me: "Hi Guys! Sorry I'm late!  I emailed all of you a spreadsheet of what i think is a great foundation for our project"

Guy #1: "Oh, I'm not online, I haven't checked my email"

Guy #2: "Oh yeah, I looked at it"

Me: silence....waiting for feedback.....
       "Well?..."

Guy #2: [smugly] "Oh, I deleted it"

Me: "What? Why?"

Guy #2: [confidently] "We can't use it, Its outdated information"

Me: [SLAP]  [OK, j/k i didn't, but i wanted to]

Me: "Really? Outdated data? So do you proposed that we use this years data? The football season literally  just started"   A Durrrrr!

Guy # 2: [with tail between legs] "Oh, i knew that... let me get it out of my recycling bin"

In the words of Stephanie Tanner.... How rude! I was so upset, i couldn't believe both of their attitudes. I mean seriously... what year are we in? Is a woman not capable of have a little knowledge (sorta) in a male dominated sports industry? Sure maybe I'm not a football guru but I'm not stupid, and brought a heck of a lot more to the table than those 2 bird brains!

No comments: