Friday, September 3, 2010

Stereotypes at their best

I for one, hate stereotypes. I do. They are so nasty. They are never "good" stereotypes, they are always negative. As much as i like to give people the benefit of the doubt or even toy with the idea that they ( the subject of the stereotype) are the exception to the rule, something always happens to shake that idea away.

Like this past weekend for example. We went to Mexican Fiesta to enjoy some food, overly priced drinks and to listen to a band or two. I was truly disgusted ( cant even say i was surprised, because, well that is what i expected to see) at what some of the people were wearing. I saw things. Ugly things. I saw butt cracks. I saw saggy boobs. I saw pants so tight they looked like they were painted on. I saw plenty of people wearing inflatable like preservers. I saw people stuffed into a dresses 3 sizes too small. Not to mention grown men with girls on their arms that looked young enough to be their own daughters.

C'MON!! People- we, as a culture, as a race, as a 'minority' are trying to move forward. We want to be an educated well rounded asset to society. Society does not want to see your Assets. It made me so upset to see how much (or little) respect these people seemed to have for themselves. Its hard enough to break through the stereotypes and the barriers against Hispanics... and you go and pull something like this.

I was discussing this with my sister, and i say(s) to her- I wonder what they think they they are picking out their outfits? I understand that fact that some people are really comfortable in their own skin and all the power to you. But you can be a beautiful confident person with the adequate amount of clothes on as well. Then i pondered to myself... I wonder if juju thinks I'm an old hag. I wonder if he wants me to be that girl- that girl that leaves nothing to the imagination. That girl that is so high maintenance, she that wont step out of the house with out  a lick of make up on. Or wears 5 inch heels to the festival grounds, which by the end of the night, looks like shes been walking on cactus pricked feet all day.

Oh and don't even get me started on people who use Zs at the end of words that should end with an S.

Ay, maybe I'm being over critical, maybe I'm the exception to the rule.

No comments: