Thursday, March 5, 2009

Rerouted Honeymoon

A few weeks ago i went to go talk to a travel agent. I wanted to consult with a professional because i, well, really have never been anywhere, with the exception of my hometown in Mexico. And that was about 4.5 years ago when Juju and i first met. I had initially looked at all the travel websites out there. Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, you name it, but seeing that i rarely travel, i was weary of booking such an important trip online. I got a good idea of where i wanted to go, where i wanted to stay and what i wanted to do while we were there. Juju said he would leave the honeymoon planning up to me, which i was thrilled about. We went back and forth a lot initially, before i took the planning process over my self, he wanted to go to a busy city, ( Mexico City to be exact) and i wanted to be laying beach side with a fruity drink with a tiny little umbrella in my drink. Not that I'm ready to lay beach side, but ill cross that bridge when i come to it. Finally we both decided to go all inclusive beach side. The details of everything would be left up to me and thus i want to keep it a bit of a surprise.

FYI- resort #1- my first pick resort
resort #2- the resort the TA suggested with the $200 resort credit.

So when i arrived at the travel agents office, i showed her what i found and asked her what she could get for me. She punched some numbers into the computer, added figures and gave me about the same numbers i found online. I asked questions, she answered. And then she said 'one sec, let me take a look at something' she proceeded to tell me that she could get me into a different resort with the same star rating, which included a 200 resort credit, for the same amount of resort #1. I asked more questions and i told her i would get back to her. I was honest with her and i told her that i, in my head, had already decided i wanted to stay at resort #1, but i would think about her suggestion.

I left her office and sat in my car in the parking lot for a few moments, trying to absorb all the information that was give to me. I thought to myself, I wonder if she gets kickbacks for sending X number of people to certain resorts. I mean if she does, that's fine, i don't blame her for trying. I understand that some people work on commission and everyone needs to make a living, so i wasn't bothered by it at all. But I'm my head i had everything planned out already.

WWJD? What would you do? Would you stick with what you initially wanted or go somewhere else based on a suggestion? Don't get me wrong, both resorts are beautiful and both have similar if not identical amenities. But what if Resort #2 sucks, and its all her fault? Or what if resort #1 sucks and its all MY fault. Oh goodness.

No comments: