Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Semi-Homemade Pizza

-sorry reader, this one is long enough to go in the bible-
When we were younger, my siblings, my mom and I would make french bread pizza on Sunday afternoons. I'm not sure if it was ever every Sunday, but we made them often. I think we made it often. Ok to be quiet honest i remember the eating the pizza part the most. So any how, this Sunday at work, i was thinking about dinner all day long. Sad, i know. I wanted to make something healthy but delicious. I finally came to the conclusion that i would try to make the healthiest organic (as possible) pizza. Oh man, i couldn't wait to leave so that i could run to the store to pick up my ingredients.

I stopped at the store and picked up organic fire roasted tomatoes, organic baby mushrooms, an organic green pepper, regular ole' low moisture mozzarella, pepperoni (commercial, nothing fancy) and then proceeded to look for a whole wheat crust. I knew i was too hungry to wait for the dough to rise and all that good stuff, so i figured i would just get a premade one. (*note semi-homemade) Well to much of my disappointment the one brand of wheat crust just happened to be on sale and SOLD out! C'mon, who the heck is wiped clean of whole wheat pizza crust?!? Ugh. At this point, my dogs were barking and my stomach was growling. I had 2 choices, get the regular thin crust (the only thing left) or stop at another store before going home. So i took my chances and went to a second store in search for my whole wheat pizza crust.


I get there, go directly to the designated premade pizza crust area to find that they were completely out. At least the other store had a few thin crusts and some personal size ones. I was outraged! not to mention hungry. Luckily i found the refrigerated pop-out-of-the-can-and-roll-out-yourself kind. Of course not in wheat, but at this point in my odyssey i was too tired to go anywhere else and this let down led me down the wine aisle. 2 please.

I got home and proposed my pizza making idea to my mom and was excited to see that Gaby & hubby were still there. We usually get together at my moms [my] house every Sunday, and since i have been working on the weekends now i rarely see them. So we all rolled up our sleeves and started cutting, washing, greasing, unrolling, pureeing.


Here is gaby, using her Food Network poses.

I eyeballed everything, the sauce, the toppings, the cheese. So here is my version of the recipe. Note, i made 2 that's why i have double of everything. Adjust to recipe yield desired.

2 cans of Pillsbury classic pizza crust
2 cans organic fire roasted tomato chunks or stew (i chose them pre-fire roasted, i figured it would take too long to do it myself) =-)
1 pkg of sliced pepperoni, i think i maybe used a cup total, you'll have left overs
1 organic green pepper
2 bricks (8oz) of low moisture mozzarella cheese
2 tbsp of grated romano cheese
2 tbsp of grated parmesan cheese
unknown amount of basil (dried)
unknown amount of oregano
a smidgen of garlic powder (no more, no less)


Preheated the oven to 425 degrees.

Mix the tomato with basil & oregano. Add the smidgen of garlic powder. This is all to taste, and optional of course. We had to drain out some of the tomato juices, the consistency was too watery.

(Im not sure why it looks like we spread strawberry jelly on our pizza, but rest asure it was tomato sauce)

Pop open can of crust and unroll onto a greased 15x10 inch dark or nonstick cookie sheet.

Top! spread sauce, sprinkle 1 tbsp of romano and parmesan cheese over sauce. Add pepperoni, sliced mushrooms & green peppers. Sprinkle with the desired amount of cheese. I actually used one entire 8 oz brick per pizza. Now that i think about it, i might have used it in excess. But who doesn't love cheesy pizza?


Sprinkle with love and pop into oven for 12-15 minutes.

Cooking time in high altitude or slanted houses may vary. Please hold vigil at oven while baking.

The pizza was incredible. It would honestly knock out the most established competitor's. While the pizza was in the oven, Jesse (Gaby's Hubby) ran to get a movie.


We popped open the bottle of wine and had pizza and watched The Women. Im really glad i decided to cook something instead of stopping at the drive thru. It was nice spending that time cooking with my family.

No comments: