Thursday, November 13, 2008

Cookie

Cookie has been a true blessing in our lives. As a child I always wanted a pet, a real pet, not like a bird or a fish or a hermit crab. (RIP yellow bird, grey bird, Herman, Herman II, Herman III, Chocolatito, Pinchy and Shady)My mom never let me had one, I remember i once cried at a flea market because they were selling puppies and i really wanted one. Nope, nothing. I tried negotiating down to a kitty. She didn't go for it. She wasn't a pet person, she didn't want the house smelling like pets. And since i was only 8yrs old, i figured this was a battle i wasn't going to win.

Until one day I came home with a dog, Cookie.

I adopted Cookie from the local Humane Society. She had been abused and neglected in the past and she was simple looking for someone to treat her the way she deserved.

This is what she looked like when i adopted her.

She looked so frightened. She laid at the corner of her cot, rolled up in a little ball, her nose was buried into her body. All you could she were her big brown eyes. In her eyes, you could see how sad she really was. It was heartbreaking, really. So i decided to bring her home. Boy was that night fun. I was nervous, I had never been a pet mom before. She was nervous, she was going into a brand new house. Needless to say the first night she cried and whined until 2 or 3 in the morning. I put her in kitchen, i was afraid of letting her sleep in the carpeted rooms. The next night, i let her into my room, but again i wasn't sure about her sleeping on the bed, so we crashed on the floor together. And little by little she made her way up to curl up right next to tummy. After the next couple of week she made her way to my bed, and every since that, bunk together (im usually the back spoon =-) )

This is a 'glamour shot' of cookie... I never thought I could ever love a pet so much. She truly is a part of our family, she is my mom's first Grandpetdaughter, and my siblings see her as a niece. She is loyal, protective, always greets you at the door and is happy to see you, and above all her love is unconditional. She loves to snuggle and lounge around, and she greatly enjoys a good scratchin' behind her ear or a nice long belly rub.
Unfortunately Chihuahuas have a bad rep for being little vicious 'yelpy' dogs. Not Cookie, i think that what she has gone through in the past has taught her to be grateful, as funny as that sounds.

No comments: