Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Ikea

Oh how i've heard things about you.... I finally got to go this past weekend, since there is none in our area, we drove out to illinois.I had browsed the website a few times, but nothing could have prepared me for the monstrosity they call Ikea. It has 3 floors, filled with every possible household item you can think of, and very a smartly positioned food court area

We browsed through the hundreds of items for sale. I gawked at beautiful custom closets that would make a wonderful home for my shoes. Sat on what had to be some of the most comfortable couches and chairs ever.

This was our Ikea Posse: JujuAdrian aka Mon & Cristina, Mon's Fiance


But if we are in the market for anything, it would be a table. We have a pretty decent amount of things for when we get married, the biggest "item" we would need is a table. We have a fridge, a stove, couches, TVs, Beds, lamps, even a few coffee/side tables. No table.

I had initially found one on Ikea.com It was pretty neat. It was simple, expandable, casual enough for everyday dinning, yet large enough for entertaining. This table sat anywhere from 6 to 10 people. Ten people. I was table-love strucken. I know its only juju & I, we dont need a table that big, but it will come in handy when we entertain. The only problem, is that even though it was moderately priced ($400), we werent looking to spend that much on a table alone, with 6 chairs we would be looking at upwards $840. So we were just going to try and shop around.

5 hours, a can opener and 2 cutting boards later, we were ready to check out. We walked right next to an As-Is section. Hmmm... I wonder if they have something there.

TAH-DAH!

There it was. My table. It was a returned item (already assembled), so they could sell it on the floor. 6-10 people. It had the leafs and everything. And it was only $169! I was so thrilled. Before you jump for joy, this story turns south.
We had to pay for it and take it the same day. We drove out there in Juju's cousins Corolla. HA! talk about a swift kick in the ass. They dont deliver as-is items, we could rent a truck but this would mean drive all the way home (WI), unload, and drive all the way back to Ikea (IL). The only thing we could do would be to come go back the next day. Oh wait, did i mention, there was no holds. So i couldn't just pay for it and pick it up the next day. There was no guarantee it would be there.

I sadly dragged my feet as i walked away from the table. We were going to try to go back to Ikea the following day, in hopes to get our table.

No comments: